This is a recipe out of Green Smoothie Girl’s 12 Steps to Whole Foods (which I am borrowing from a friend). We all enjoyed it quite a bit. It makes a great main dish served with a side of vegetables or salad. For a bigger meal it could also be used as a side dish with some chicken or something.
- 1 C quinoa, rinsed well
- 1 Tbsp. coconut oil
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 C water
- 1/2 C pecans, chopped and toasted in a dry saute pan
- 1 orange, red, or yellow bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 C dried cranberries OR finely chopped dried apricots (or some of each, up to 3/4 cup)
- 2 green onions, chopped (or 1/2 sweet onion, finely chopped)
- 1/3 C chopped cilantro
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- 2 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 C fresh orange juice
- 1 tsp. grated orange zest (I accidentally left this out)
- 2 Tbsp. agave
- 2-4 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil (recipe says 4, I tried it with 2 and it worked fine)
- 1 Tbsp. dried basil
In a saucepan, saute the garlic in the oil, then add the quinoa and stir till toasted. Add the water and bring to a boil. Turn the heat down and simmer for 15 min. Blend the dressing ingredients in a high-powered blender.
Toss the cooked quioa with all other ingredients and the dressing. Serve hot or cold.
Note: Another thing I love about this recipe is that it can inspire so many similar, yet different, types of dishes. Quinoa is a superfood and a great plant protein source. And it is super delicious if you get a little creative in what you add to it! You’ll see a LOT more of it on this blog.