This soup is so delicious – you are going to love it. It is also really straightforward and easy – score! I found it via Pinterest on the Cafe Zupas blog. I didn’t change any of the ingredients, just streamlined the instructions a bit. Serves 4-6.
2 tablespoons coconut oil
1 teaspoon cumin powder
1 teaspoon curry powder
1 teaspoon turmeric powder
1 large onion, diced
1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoons fresh ginger, shredded
2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
1 red bell pepper, seeded and diced
1 1/2 cups red lentils, rinsed
6 cups vegetable broth (I used organic chicken broth since that’s what I had)
1 cup coconut milk (I used regular, light would work – it would probably be a little less creamy)
salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
chopped cilantro for garnish (optional)
1. In a large pot, heat coconut oil over medium heat. Dice the onion, garlic, and ginger together in a food chopper and add along with the cumin, curry, turmeric, and sea salt. Cook while stirring until tender, about 6-8 minutes.
2. Add diced sweet potatoes and diced red peppers, and cook 2 minutes.
3. Add red lentils and broth and bring to a bubbling boil, then turn down the heat and allow to simmer, covered, until the lentils and sweet potatoes are tender – about 30 minutes.
4. Remove from the heat, and stir in coconut milk.
5. Season with salt and pepper to taste, and garnish with fresh cilantro before serving.
Yum! Let me know if you try it. It is really good!